Warning: This post was published more than 11 years ago.
I keep old posts on the site because sometimes it's interesting to read old content. Not everything that is old is bad. Also, I think people might be interested to track how my views have changed over time: for example, how my strident teenage views have mellowed and matured!
But given the age of this post, please bear in mind:
- My views might have changed in the 11 years since I wrote this post.
- This post might use language in ways which I would now consider inappropriate or offensive.
- Factual information might be outdated.
- Links might be broken; embedded material might not appear properly.
Many thanks for your understanding.
I’ve now been blogging for two years. Scary. You can read my first post (originally from The LBSC) here, and last year’s anniversary post here. Since this is a fairly significant occasion (I guess), it seems appropriate to post an update to the ‘99 things I proposed a little over a year ago…
1. Qualify as a doctor
» I’m 20% closer, but by no means there as of yet.
2. Do a parachute jump
» Not yet done, and no immediate plans
3. Go paragliding
» Also not yet done, and no immediate plans
4. Make a billion
» I’d like to say I’m close… but I’m not
5. Lose a million
» Thankfully, not too close
6. Write a textbook
» I typed my first year notes up and bound them appropriately, so that’s not a million miles away. But I don’t think it counts.
7. Write a bestselling novel
8. Visit all seven continents
» I haven’t visited any more continents than I had this time last year. Nor, indeed, any more countries.
9. Drive / Be driven across America
» No plans
10. Drive / Be driven across Australia
» Again, no plans
11. Visit the poorest parts of Africa
» I watched Comic Relief. Not quite the same, though, methinks.
12. Visit the richest parts of America
» I watch The West Wing. Not quite the same, though, methinks.
13. Meet a US President
» I may have met a future US President… who can tell?
14. Complete a marathon
» I did the Flora Family Marathon. But it’s not quite what I envisaged when writing that aim. So it doesn’t count.
15. Give a million away
» I haven’t got a million!
16. Go in to space
» Some people say I spend most of my time on another planet…
17. Pay someone to cook and clean for me
» Not as of yet
18. Invent or discover something revolutionary
» Erm… no.
19. Be the Time ‘Person of the Year’
» I was one of ABC News World News Tonight‘s People of the Year. But not Time Person of the Year. Yet.
20. Win an Oscar / Bafta / Booker Prize / Nobel Prize or similar
» I’m not aware that I’ve done this yet.
21. Visit one / both of the Poles
» Not yet
22. Fly a plane
» Not even close.
23. Make a fire the old-fashioned way
» Haven’t tried
24. Own several houses
» Don’t even own one.
25. Make something useful
» papercdcase.com helps me do this regularly, but, again, it’s not quite what I had in mind.
26. Go on a rock star rampage
» Sadly not.
27. Get completely lost
» I did have great difficulty finding Tesco in Stockton (or more accurately, finding Durham Road). But I got there eventually. And I was never ‘completely’ lost.
28. Own a log cabin
» It’s not exactly on the to-do list.
29. Star in a wildly successful TV series
» Unless I’m the subject of some freaky reality show, then I’ve not done this.
30. Release a wildly successful single
31. Be a guest voice on ‘The Simpsons’
» They haven’t invited me yet.
32. Go through the ‘Basket’ till with a trolley full of goods separated into many different transactions
» I haven’t yet chosen to do this
33. Pull off a hoax that is reported as truth in a national newspaper
34. Plant a tree
» Again, no
35. Live completely alone for a month or so
» Not yet
36. Stage a ‘punctuation crusade’
» I added an apostrophe to a poster that was missing one on the medicine noticeboard. But that’s about it.
37. Become a highly influential politician
» I blog about politics. But I don’t think I’m at all influential. And I’m no politician.
38. Become a regular columnist in a national newspaper
» Er – no.
39. Present a highly successful radio show
» You see, if I really wanted to do this, I could set up an internet station. But it’s not something that’s top of my list right now.
40. Find a hat that doesn’t make me look stupid
» I haven’t found a hat.
41. Own a house with an indoor swimming pool
» I don’t own a house
42. Travel in a submarine
» Again, no.
43. Go on a cruise
44. Live on a houseboat
» I’ve only been on one boat this year. And it wasn’t a houseboat. And I didn’t live on it.
45. Get married [provided I find the perfect partner]
» Err… No.
46. Drive / Fly around the country / world, visiting a different branch of McDonalds each day
47. Live in a foreign country (where English is not the predominant spoken language)
» Again – no.
48. Relearn Latin
» A medical degree is practically a Latin degree. But again, not quite what I imagined.
49. Have a home that is fitted entirely with a Home Automation System
50. Help someone in desperate need
» I haven’t done this on a personal level.
51. Eliminate early mornings
» Sadly not
52. Travel first class. Everywhere.
» Again, no.
53. Achieve a world record
» Haven’t even tried.
54. Have a portfolio of highly successful businesses
» I don’t have even a single business
56. Save a life (Hopefully more than one)
» Not directly
57. Read all the books I own
» I now have more unread books than I did last year!
58. Have more time to read the newspapers
» Not as much as I’d like
59. Employ a Personal Assistant
» Not as yet
60. Stage a ‘grammar crusade’
61. See a total solar eclipse
» Again, no. Although I did see one on telly a few years back.
62. See a total lunar eclipse
63. Visit Greece
64. Take a tour of the White House
» Sadly not
65. Own the complete Oxford English Dictionary
» Not yet
66. Take part in a successful campaign to have Sport News removed from main News Bulletins, except for special events
» Haven’t tried, and haven’t even really moaned about it.
67. Appear on Newsnight in person
» I appeared on the Newsnight website… but still not quite what I was after
68. Write a Will
69. Appear on Question Time in person (as part of the panel)
70. Stage a successful series of concerts
» Strangely, no-one’s asked me to.
71. Make a difference
» Too vague to really say whether I’ve done it or not.
72. Plan my own funeral
73. Be transiently world famous
74. Own a Segway Human Transporter
» Not sure I really want one any more…
75. Sit on a jury
76. Buy an obscene number of Toasted Marshmallow Jelly Beans
» Haven’t even bought a single one.
77. Travel in a Hot Air Balloon
78. Present an award
79. Employ a butler
» Not yet.
80. Have a positive impact on as many lives as possible
» Again, too woolly.
81. Have a negative impact on as few lives as possible
» See 80.
82. Have a neutral impact on even fewer lives
» See 81.
83. Become transiently infamous throughout the world
84. Write (though not necessarily publish) an extensive autobiography
» The Learning Portfolio I did was vaguely autobiographical, though I wouldn’t call it extensive.
85. Become qualified in psychiatry
86. Make a historical mark on the world
» Who can say?
87. Learn how to wrap presents in a half-way decent manner
» Haven’t tried.
88. Have a piece of artwork made by me displayed in a famous gallery
» Depends what you call a famous gallery – is not the internet the most famous gallery of all?
89. Be there at a time when I’m needed
90. Learn basic handywork skills
» Don’t really know what I had in mind here.
91. Learn about basic car maintenance
» Well, possibly I know the very basics. Again, not sure what I was thinking.
92. Be instrumental in ending / preventing a war in a peaceful manner
» Not that I know of.
93. Abseil down something big
94. Make an arch-enemy
» Haven’t really tried – possibly a good thing.
95. Visit Times Sqaure on New Year’s Eve
96. Learn to play the Harmonica
» Don’t know why I wanted to do that!
97. Stay at a Disney theme park over Christmas
98. Go to the Olympics
» Didn’t go, but did watch them on the box.
99. ‘Astonish the World’
» It’s not really for me to say…
So the progress so far is not exactly stunning. Will I be any further along by this time next year? Doubt it, but we’ll see.